In first grade this year Wyatt's class had a goal of reading 100 books each. Wyatt was excited each time I wrote a book on his list and then after 20 books he got to turn his paper in for a Book-it certificate so he could get a personal pan pizza. Then yesterday was there end of the year reading party which they all earned for each reading at least 100 books.
The party took place at the Hidden Springs Ranch a few miles north of Altamont. They started out by doing a little program. They split into groups and told a poem about Cowboys. They sang some cowboy songs and then did the Virginia Reel.
They played cowboy games, shooting bottles with water guns, riding stick horses through a relay, herded their balloon cows into a coral, and got their pictures on a wanted ad.
Then came the swimming.
Everyone was worried that it would be miserable, but just when it was time to swim, the sun came out, the wind didn't blow and it was as good as you could have expected for swimming in May. The kids had tons of fun and no one drown.
I am really glad Wyatt remembered his life jacket. He could go where ever he wanted and I didn't have to worry about him drowning. He had so much fun and I had a fun time watching him.
After swimming when everyone finally got changed, they fed us a cowboy lunch; sloppy joes, beans, chips, carrots (Wyatt informed me that cowboys didn't eat carrots), and homemade root beer. It was delicious.
By then the weather couldn't hold back any more so everyone cleaned up and they decided to go back to the school for the awards. Each child was given a certificate for reading at least 100 books, they got to choose a book of their own, and got a sheriffs badge, and a little cowboy face thing to play with.
I am so proud of Wyatt he read at least 138 books this year and has really improved his reading.
They were done early so we got to go home. By the time we got home Wyatt was really tired and wouldn't smile, but he would show me his teeth.
It was a really fun day and I am glad that I was able to go with him.
{5.18.10}
Everyone was worried that it would be miserable, but just when it was time to swim, the sun came out, the wind didn't blow and it was as good as you could have expected for swimming in May. The kids had tons of fun and no one drown.
After swimming when everyone finally got changed, they fed us a cowboy lunch; sloppy joes, beans, chips, carrots (Wyatt informed me that cowboys didn't eat carrots), and homemade root beer. It was delicious.
By then the weather couldn't hold back any more so everyone cleaned up and they decided to go back to the school for the awards. Each child was given a certificate for reading at least 100 books, they got to choose a book of their own, and got a sheriffs badge, and a little cowboy face thing to play with.
I am so proud of Wyatt he read at least 138 books this year and has really improved his reading.
It was a really fun day and I am glad that I was able to go with him.
{5.18.10}


1 comment:
You have so many cute posts lately. i love looking at them. Your kids are so cute and funny. I hope they had happy birthdays and you had a happy mother's day. you are a great mom! Can't wait to see you guys.
Post a Comment